Tuesday, 16 October 2007

From August till Now

Is it a phenomenon for everyone to think that time is passing real fast? To me, it seems to continuously keep rushing forward and I barely seem to have a moment to stand still and take everything in. September came and went without me even noticing the days flying by. That was the busiest month I’d had so far with work, flying in and out of the country like a jetsetter that I’m not, packing and repacking my bags, trying to juggle all the balls in my hands without dropping even one of them. So what happened... Let me start the recap with one of my finest moments, Perhentian Island with the boy. NB. Fotos can be viewed on Multiply.

It was a long weekend getaway. While the rest of Malaysia was cheering for the 50th Independence Day, Jeff and I had our own anniversary to celebrate. It had been a year. What started off as an easy lay with no strings attached became very much serious, buying curtains and bed sheets included and now sharing the same address. Who would have guessed... Certainly not me...

The island life was good; relaxing on the beach under the tropical sun, listening to the waves and knowing that we could do anything that our hearts desired. One night we crossed over to the other side of the island to watch the sunset. It sounded like a romantic idea to the ears; the truth was a little disappointment. First of all, it was cloudy so we could only see strays of orange slowly fading behind the grey when darkness came. Then, the sight was ruined because they had decided to build this ugly concrete jetty on the right side of Coral Bay. Then, I got bitten by an ant whose claws were bigger than its body and which sunk deep beneath the skin of my right toe, or so said Jeff as I was just too busy screaming murder. But all in all, it was a good trip. The snorkeling was wonderful, the star strewn night sky, the monkey juice, it was all we needed to unwind and enjoy each other.

Then September came and all I did was working and traveling for work. So what happened after that...

Pilli left. She had to gather and pack her four years of living in Malaysia within two days. Needless to say that time was not on her side. The British embassy decided to play a little mindfuck game and only gave her the visa on Wednesday while she was supposed to be in the UK two days before that. Her leaving was so sudden, she had been prepared for leaving for the past two months but not until the final word was in, could she know for sure. She didn’t even have enough time for proper goodbyes; I could imagine that everything was a dizzying rollercoaster that didn’t stop racing until she set her foot on the pebbled beach of Brighton.

Jeff and I took over Pilli’s room and we are now the proud owner of a queen-size bed and a bath tub (which would easily fit the both of us if Jeff could somehow detach his legs and put them aside and I were as flexible as a Chinese circus girl and could put my feet behind my neck).

Hari Raya just passed and we had an extra day off on the Monday. Despite earlier plans to go to Penang to see the Lantern Festival, the impulsive idea to catch the jungle train to Kota Baru, even to a Thai town called Hatyai just across the border, we ended up going to some waterfall somewhere in Selangor (I believe it was called Sungai Gabai). Good fun. It was quite a hike and thus pretty challenging for my smoker’s lungs. The water was cold and there were so many people there but we managed to claim our own space. Then it started raining and that was when the excitement that one used to have when they were a kid sprung out again. As happy as a little kid I eagerly went down the natural made slides a few times. So much fun!

Btw, Hari Raya is a Muslim holiday, a huge celebration at the end of Ramadan, the fasting month. The Muslims go nuts on food and drinks I suppose, as they had to fast for a whole month prior to this eating fiesta. On the first day of Hari Raya – here they have two days of Raya, just like Boxing Day, but that doesn’t exist in this country, pure discrimination if you ask me – we saw bunches of families on the road going for a visit to some relatives, all dressed in their best suits in one and the same colour. And the weirder thing is to see the men walking around in bright pink and purple following their wives, daughters, moms, sisters and aunts. There goes your masculinity I guess.

Next Saturday is AMAN – AIESEC Malaysia Awards Night – where Jeff has to play the MC. I’m putting on my best dress that I bought like eight years ago and that I would hopefully still fit into. It’s good to somehow still do AIESEC related things, although I’m not a trainee anymore and work is really preventing me from keeping my social life up to the desired level.
The Saturday after there will be a rave party in Melaka; now that would definitely be something interesting to see. In this country where religion pretty much dictates your way of being, a rave just doesn’t really match the image, especially if Heineken is sponsoring the event. I’m keen to go for sure, if only to see what it’s about and perhaps do a comparative analysis on a "normal" rave in the Low Lands, where just about everything is permissible. I wonder if I might even see gays raving around on underground music. That would be interesting to observe.

And then November will come. My roomie from Holland is coming to visit me, YAY! Another someone that could bring me cheese and pork sausages. December would be grand as Jeff and I will then go back to Australia. For him it’s coming home, for me it’s a wish come true; ever since I had left Sydney I vowed that I would find myself back in Down Under again in due time. And so now I will finally fulfill that destiny. Although this time it would be tough for the both of us financially; the exchange rate is not too cool. Nevertheless, really looking forward to that holiday!

No comments: