Thursday, 12 July 2007

Updates

Things at work have been hectic lately: Indonesia and Thailand demand a lot of energy and time. Plus my boss – who somehow bears huge resemblance to the friendly genie in a bottle – is like a goods train running through the office, forever busy with business in his mind. Here are some updates.

After one month of working for Profitera Corporation my position has been upgraded to Business Development Manager ASEAN. Just like my university degree it sounds fancier than it actually is. Big boss has plans to venture into Europe and go at war with our competitors there. This will be my long term mission, for now it’s a necessity to understand all the technical things first. I’m referring to IT stuff like system configuration architecture, interaction framework, Rich Internet Application, High Availability, Disaster Recovery, batch interface processes, database and application servers, JAVA Web Start, XML files et cetera. I’m proud to say that I actually know now what DB2 and Linux are and for me that’s quite impressive. :) So far no business trips to Indonesia and Thailand yet, but considering the deals that are currently on the table, I might be going there soon. Depends on how fast we can get things moving onto the next level.

I’m officially an expat now, the employment pass sticker is already in my passport and now I’m waiting for my so-called gold card. How cool!

Jeff has been offered a permanent position – with a different job scope and a pay raise – at his company and he has decided to take it. Also, we will be sharing the same bedroom somewhere between the end of August and the beginning of September. We will finally have a double bed and our own bathroom. I must say that we still need to sophisticate the art of compromising. Last night we had silly discussions about absolutely insignificant matters like having the air-conditioning on or off in our new room; which movie to watch this weekend, Harry Potter or Transformers; which wall shall be decorated by whom et cetera. And knowing us, there will be more silly discussions to come, partly because I’m quite particular about my stuff (call it neurotic if you like), partly also because I’m damn stubborn. And Jeff has his own peculiarities as well. Surely we will manage. Right???

Trainees come and go, like they always do. It’s actually quite sad to say goodbye to people whom I started my KL chapter with. And now, even people that came after me are leaving again. Being confronted with this fact makes me look at my own situation again; have I decided wisely when I decided as I did? Do I better belong in Europe? Perhaps I do, perhaps I don’t. For now I’m enjoying myself here, this is my place. For now at least.

Some people from Europe are coming to KL, which I’m really looking forward to. First Léonie in the end of this month. Then Ina in August. Then my mom and maybe my sister too in the end of November. Some friends have told me that they want to come visit me as well, but no definite plans yet.

My next trip this year will be to Perhentian Island in the end of August, back to paradise. This time I’m going with Jeff as he missed out on that last year. Should be good relaxing; some proper quality time with the boy and I could definitely use the fresh breeze, away from the big city life and the work stress. My colleague told me half-jokingly today that I should read my contract once again: besides overtime and working in weekends there’s a hidden clause stating that this job comes with migraine, grey hair and gastric problems. Hmm... I must have missed that part of the terms and conditions...

PS. My colleague Salam (see my previous posting) has told his father that he wants to get married to his cousin by this year. He feels that he's ready.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Business Development Manager ASEAN" - well, that _is_ cool :-)

Make sure to introduce Jeff into the original monkey juice while you're on the Perhenthians...

bauele said...

Yes, I am coming!! Happy :) Let's have a great bday party again. Hope it will be as special as last year ;) I mis you much!